How to make your own mega Easter egg
Easter eggs are one of those things where bigger is definitely better. We’ve often found the shop bought ones a bit on the puny side for our gigantic sweet tooth though, so we’ve developed this clever recipe for making a MEGA EGG!
It’s pretty simple and makes a great Easter activity for the kids. Plus you get the biggest chocolate egg you’ve ever had, which can only be a good thing.
•1 balloon – make sure it’s at least medium sized and relatively thick (we don’t want a popped egg!)
•600g chocolate (the type is up to you!)
1. Blow up the balloon and tie a tight knot in the end. Place a small strip of sticky tape just to one side of your knot, this’ll come in handy later.
2. Melt your choc in a microwave or bain marie. Once it’s all melted leave to cool until it’s around body temp (dip a finger in to check, if it doesn’t feel hot then you’re good to go!)
3. Hold the balloon by the knot and dip it into your melted chocolate, covering all sides. You can always use a brush if it’s a bit tricky.
4. Put your chocolatey balloon on a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper and pop it in the fridge. Take it out when the surface is solid and no longer shiny, don’t leave it too long though or the next step will be much harder!
5. Take your knife and trim away the excess chocolate from where the balloon was touching the baking tray. Try and get it as smooth as possible, but be careful not to pop the balloon!
6. Repeat until most of the chocolate has been used up and you have a thick and relatively even spread on your balloon.
7. Using your knife, pierce the balloon in the middle of the sticky tape that you placed earlier. It’ll stop the balloon from bursting into pieces, allowing you to deflate it slowly before easily removing it.
8. Fill your egg with sweets!
9. Using the remaining melted chocolate, make a few small discs by placing them on your tray and cooling them in the fridge.
10. Place the discs over the hole in the egg and seal them in place with the last of the melted choc. Once set, cut away the excess.
11. Voilà! You’re left with a MEGA EGG full of your favourite sweets. Try and get some photos before cracking it open though, we’d love to see them!