Mother’s Day Cake Recipe
We love a good cake here at Hawkin HQ. From Fondant Fancies to Fruitcakes, there’s nothing like a big slab of baked bliss to keep us grinning. However, there’s one thing we love even more than cakes… our wonderful mums! So with Mother’s Day fast approaching, we’ve dug out our finest pinafores and created a simple cake recipe that’s loads of fun for the little ones to make, and even more fun for mum to eat.
Mother’s Day Sponge Cake
• 225g self-rising flour
•225g caster sugar
•1 tsp baking powder
•Sweet Art Cake Decorations, or your favourite cake toppings
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/Gas mark 4
2. Take all of your ingredients and dump them into the biggest mixing bowl you can find
3. Arm yourself with an electric whisk
4. Mix all of the ingredients together (be careful not to make too much of a mess!)
5. Pour the mixture into two non-stick, 18cm (7 inch) baking tins
6. Pop them in the oven until golden brown, around 15-25 minutes
7. Take them out and leave to cool on a wire rack
8. Once cooled, crack open your Sweet Art Cake Decorations/fave cake toppings and go crazy, the more colourful the better!
There are loads of variations you can include to jazz up your Mother’s Day sponge cake. We’ve listed a few below to get you started, but leave a comment and let us know if you think of any more!
• Add a few drops of food colouring so that mum has a cake in her fave colour
• Sandwich the two halves with jam and cream to make a Victoria Sponge
• Add some chocolate chips to the mix just before baking
• Add some lemon juice to give your cake a tangy twist